Pre-event Tuesday, October 02
10:00am - 4:00pm
Conversion Optimization for Every Business
- Brian Massey, Conversion Sciences
- How high conversion rates will change everything for your business.
- The math of acquisition.
- Calculate the value of a contact, prospect and customer.
- How to measure your potential upside from higher conversion rate.
- The rules of behavioral science — that you already know.
- The tools you should always have at your fingertips.
- The sources of data you can tap for amazing insights.
- The “launch and know” campaign development process.
- Keeping designers and copywriters honest.
- How to outgrow your competition.
- Dealing with executive interference.
- Justifying larger budgets with data.
- Getting support for creative ideas.
- Transcend your IT department.
- How to decide what to change, what to leave the same, and what to test.
- Writing great survey questions.
- How to run a focus group from your desk.
- What to expect from a data-driven agency.
- Managing a website redesign.
- Build high-converting landing pages.
- How to develop ads that deliver.
Integrated Advanced Social Media Marketing
- Michelle Stinson Ross, Michelle Stinson Ross Consulting
- Auditing Your Current Social State of Affairs: Learn how to quickly and quantifiably evaluate existing organic and paid social media marketing activities and determine how to best adjust budget and recourses for more business benefit
- Setting Social Strategy: Learn to identify goals, avoid shiny object syndrome, and focus on driving meaningful impact for your organization
- Purposeful Content Distribution: Learn how to work with Content, Search, and PPC to leverage and package content created for various purposes and put them in front of the right audiences at the right time.
– We will dig deep into understanding audience/customer/influencer personas and how they are translated into paid audience targeting.
– We will also delve into how to use creative elements to package content for the various social channels.
- Measuring Impact: Close the marketing feedback loop. Learn how to measure advertising spend, user engagement, and how social traffic impacts other aspects of digital marketing
- Scaling Your Efforts: Identify the right tools for your team (or yourself!) to get organized, streamline your social media management processes, and boost results
- What’s Next: Identify future trends to help your brand or organization get and stay ahead of the curve
Day 1 Wednesday, October 03
8:30am - 12:30pm
Conquering the Customer Journey with Content Marketing
- Shana Sullivan, Investis Digital
- Understand why it’s vital to create content that resonates with your audience at different parts of the customer journey
- Strategize, ideate and create user-focused content infused with SEO best practices that beats the competition in search and beyond
- Know where, when and how to amplify your content in a way that encourages engagement and progression through the customer journey
- Combine and leverage traditional and digital marketing to increase your audience reach and engagement
- Use content marketing as a business asset and create revenue with your audience
Winning at SEO in 2018
- Understand the difference between indexing and ranking
- Know what the Mobile-First Index is and how to prepare
- Choose the right keywords
- Determine if linking still matters
- Measure SEO ROI, and the impact it has on your business
- Justify your investment in SEO
- Solve the most common SEO pitfalls
- Maximize your SEO investment
45 Tactics to Take Your Email from Zero to Hero
- Michael Barber, barber&hewit
- Understand why email still matters to you and the people you’re trying to reach
- Ensure your campaigns are making it to the Inbox
- Learn how Internet Service Providers (ISPs) might be treating your campaigns
- Know the similarities and differences for how B2B and B2C audiences consume email, convert from it, and how different design choices impact those conversions
- Perform regular email audits which are crucial to email success
- Make sure you’re tracking the metrics you should be and discover those you may not be or may not know about
- Have some insight into what the future of email might look like
1:15pm - 2:15pm
Building A Brand with Outrageous Marketing
- Scott Dikkers, The Onion
The Onion’s co-founder and longest-serving editor-in-chief tells the story of how a scrappy group of college dropouts with no marketing budget created a worldwide comedy brand. He introduces the colorful characters behind The Onion’s success, shares insights about “outrageous marketing” that can apply to any organization, and reveals the pro tip for effectively “crossing the line” by using edgy content to offend everyone yet no one.
2:30pm - 3:00pm
The Feng Shui of Modern Email
- Jen Capstraw, Women of Email
- Recognize design trends that prioritize engagement and accommodate mobile and desktop email clients
- Better align messaging and calls to action with campaign objectives
- Boost ROI with personalization that moves the needle
- Leverage the CTA secret that gets the click—even among disengaged subscribers
Three Ways to Dramatically Improve Your Email Results
- Caroline Matis, Delivra
- Understand why email is still the center of the digital marketing universe
- Use tools like segmentation to amp up your results long-term
- Implement tactical ways to prove the effectiveness of your email marketing
Google’s AI is Smarter Than You: What That Means for Your AdWords and SEO
- Daniel Russell, Go Fish Digital
- Describe how Google is using AI to improve their internet services
- Understand recent changes to Google’s SEO and AdWords algorithms that have been driven by Google’s AI
- Find Google’s future patents and changes, and implement changes in your strategy accordingly
3:15pm - 3:45pm
Everything You Should Know About Email in 30 Minutes
- Michael Barber, barber&hewit
- Understand the psychological impacts of lousy email marketing
- Determine if you’re making it to the Inbox or not
- Develop a checklist to ensure your campaigns are designed appropriately for modern subscribers
- Understand new metrics that matter for the Inbox
Your Brand Isn’t Boring: Generate Engagement and Brand Awareness
- Paul Her-Sturm, Credit One Bank
- Identify and leverage key digital and partner resources to inform your content strategy and tactics
- Align paid social tactics to enhance your engagement strategy
- Develop an internal communication plan to build enhanced resources
- Identify key social media metrics and relate them to additional business-critical KPIs
Engaging your Audience and Keeping Their Attention with Gamification
- Mitch Canter, Vanderbilt University
- Understand the benefits of incorporating gamification into your marketing strategy
- Define the terms involved with gamification, including the types of “players” your audience may fit into
- Associate those players with types of gaming mechanics
- Replicate real world examples of organizations that have implemented gamification in their marketing strategy
4:00pm - 4:30pm
B2B Omni-Channel: Transforming an Organization with People, Process and Technology
- Jenny Hooks, Cisco
- Understand the dependencies of people, process and technology on delivering an omni-channel customer experience
- Crush organizational siloes to deliver the best experience for customers
- Implement small things that can make a big difference in your customer experience, regardless of which technologies you have access to
Influencers: Cultivating a Powerful Network for Linkbuilding & Social Media Evangelism
- Michelle Stinson Ross, Michelle Stinson Ross Consulting
- Identify and qualify influencers from several sources
- Craft news, messages, and value propositions that matter to the press and industry influencers
- Create outreach strategies that span the longer influencer engagement process
The Brand Called Compassion
- Keesa Schreane, Refinitiv
- Know your brand’s mission
- Communicate how people benefit from your brand mission
- Stay true to your audience and mission
- Value your evangelists
- Deliver on your brand promises
4:45pm - 5:15pm
SEO Quick Wins: 20% of Actions for 80% of Results
- Execute on the 20% of transformative actions that lead to 80% of your organic search results
- Perform a quick, simple and action-oriented SEO audit to prioritize your content, backlink and technical strategies
- Design a winning SEO game plan that will not break the bank
- Implement an agile and inclusive SEO process
- Adapt to recent Google changes and position your strategy ahead of the evolving algorithm (and the competition)
One Message, Many Voices: Content Consolidation at NASCAR
- Amanda Lordy, NASCAR
- Organize a more streamlined process for content creation and distribution
- Address cross-functional efficiency and communication challenges
- More effectively leverage content creation and marketing resources
- Produce more impactful, more engaging and overall better content
Everyday Behavioral Science For Better Conversion Optimization
- Brian Massey, Conversion Sciences
- Develop a better understanding of your audience, its needs, and its behaviors
- Launch campaigns with greater understanding and data-driven precision
- Use and understand the data from your results more efficiently for future tests
5:15pm - 6:15pm
You made it to the end of Day 1 of DS Charlotte. High fives! After stuffing your brain with all of that good content, mix and mingle with fellow attendees, speakers, and sponsors. Enjoy beverages and snacks, and decompress a little before you gear up for a busy Day 2.
Day 2 Thursday, October 04
8:30am - 9:00am
Defining the Five Key Elements of Your Brand DNA
- Adrion Porter, AP & Company
- Develop a strategic process of building your brand (company or personal) using 5 elements as a framework
- Understand the true difference between branding and marketing
- Know fully why brand goes beyond just visual elements such as your logo – especially in today’s digital and mobile landscape
- Differentiate your brand against the competition with an effective purpose, positioning and promise
Building a Personalized Consumer Engagement Platform
- Greg Androney, Blue Cross Blue Shield NC
- Develop your own consumer engagement roadmap
- Simplify the technical complexity of a marketing technology landscape
- Have a sense of the Do’s and Don’ts when it comes to the strategy and implementation of a consumer engagement platform
- Better understand the challenges of personalization in a regulated environment and what to do about them
9:15am - 9:45am
10 Critical Factors for Success in Content Marketing
- Shana Sullivan, Investis Digital
- How to nail a short, yet effective strategy
- How to perform deep content topic ideation to capture organic traffic
- Magic of a Hub & Spoke content model
- Why search engine optimization is more critical than ever
- Content you are not producing but should
- Learn how to move past pressing “Publish” on content that doesn’t move the needle, and learn strategies to catapult your results and see just how potent content marketing can be for your business.
How to Win the UX War on the Corporate Battle Field
- Lynne Adams, Johnson & Johnson
- Diagnose and overcome common obstacles marketers face when convincing colleagues and management to prioritize user experience
- Create a strategy to effectively communicate the benefits of design to your organization
- Build stakeholder trust and confidence by articulating the value of good UX
- Identify allies who will help build momentum on your journey to promoting a user-centric culture
Digital Goes Over the Top: Ad Strategies for the Connected OTT Consumer
- Ben Van Horn, Spectrum Reach
- Understand how OTT has revolutionized the Video landscape
- Create effective marketing strategies in the evolving OTT landscape
- Develop a plan to reach the right audience in the growing OTT space
10:00am - 10:30am
How to Hack Facebook’s New Algorithm Changes
- Carlos Gil, Gil Media Co.
- Know the types of content Facebook gives preferential treatment to
- Implement strategies for boosting organic Facebook reach and engagement
- Go outside of the box with tips and tricks to optimize how you post on Facebook
- Create a valuable checklist to help you reclaim your fans on Facebook
- Lindsy O’Connor, Adtaxi
- Understand how video fits into the larger marketing ecosystem
- Leverage connected TV into your digital media mix
- See how Facebook, YouTube, and online video improves conversions
- Track the success of your video campaigns
Paying for SEO: A Method For Increasing Lead Volume By Over 300%
- Garrett Mehrguth, Directive Consulting
- Understand the data that validates why you need to immediately execute this strategy
- Identify third-party sites that rank well for your top queries
- Implement 5+ tactics for maximizing the selected third-party sites so that they perform profitably
11:00am - 11:30am
Bloody Hell! And Other Marketing Truths My British Mum Taught Me
- Michael Barber, barber&hewit
- Understand why we have to be more keenly focused than ever on customer experience and retention
- Appreciate that we are often underserving our customer’s expectation of their experience
- Learn a framework that will help ensure your products and services are more tuned to your customer’s needs and experience
- Enjoy many of the equally amazing, applicable, and ridiculous lessons my British Mother taught me and how they apply to thinking through customer experience
Why 80% of Marketers are Failing with Display, and How to Fix it Fast!
- Jeremy Hudgens, Genius Monkey
- Better understand your customers’ journeys, and how they should be applied to your strategy
- Recognize how display advertising fits into your overall marketing strategy
- Utilize Google Analytics and other tools to measure the metrics that matter
- Optimize your ad spend and improve your ROI
Maximize Your Ecommerce Email Marketing Automation Strategy
- Nick McNeill, The Brandon Agency
- Better understand how to utilize email as a fundamental component of your marketing strategy
- Incite growth by carefully considering the context within your email communication
- Develop your own strategy framework to guide effective email marketing campaigns
11:45am - 12:15pm
Filling the Funnel: How to Build a Content Marketing Strategy for Growth
- Kate Richling, MediaMonks
- Identify your company’s whitespace and define talk tracks to target and align your content efforts
- Flush out your content strategy by building user personas, picking a platform, creating a content calendar and setting goals
- Work hand-in-hand with sales to fill the funnel, drive ROI and affect the bottom line
- Go beyond the blog to take your content farther (think across growth – and making your strategy global and scalable)
Innovate to Elevate: The Data-Driven Marketer
- Bryce Gartner, Icimo
- Understand the current role of big data and analytics in the digital marketing landscape
- Identify three critical skills needed to innovate as a data-driven digital marketer
- Identify an actionable data-driven plan to apply during your next concepting or ideation session
It’s Time to Think Differently About Mobile
- Stephanie Cox, Lumavate
- Understand the major shifts happening in mobile tech, why they’re occurring, and how the biggest tech players (Apple, Google, etc.) are paving the way
- Explain how these shifts will change how brands interact with consumers on mobile
- Outline how your brand should rethink its mobile strategy to adapt to this change
- Develop a plan to bring true personalization to your mobile strategy
12:45pm - 1:40pm
The Big, Bold, Brave New World of Content & Storytelling
- Ann Handley, MarketingProfs
Content marketing and storytelling offer a vast opportunity for all businesses. Even yours. But too many of us aren’t embracing the opportunity. Our own marketing seems puny and underdeveloped, when it should be strong and buff. So the question is: How do we inspire our teams to create more robust, effective marketing? Or, how do we up the quality of what we are producing? (And how do you define “quality,” anyway?) In this fun, inspiring session, Ann will counsel you on how your organization can create marketing that’s engaging—because your audience demands it, and your organization deserves it.
1:55pm - 2:25pm
Social in 365: 4 Mega Trends That Will Impact Your Strategy in the Next Year
- Matt See, FleishmanHillard
- Identify the four biggest social and digital marketing trends coming in the next year
- Leverage these mega trends to increase marketing ROI no matter the size of your company or brand
- Answer questions that your leadership is asking about why you aren’t doing this or that in social and digital marketing
Search Engine Optimization in a User First World
- Jake Finkelstein, Method Savvy
- Evaluate your website’s current user experience through the lens of search engine optimization.
- Utilize user experience design principles to improve SEO performance.
- Build better audience personas to align exceptional user experiences with searcher intent.
Designing for Turing: Voice, AI, and the Future of CX
- Jason Snook, CapTech Consulting
- Understand the current industry trends around voice-enabled technology and artificial intelligence and how they impact yoru business.
- Understand the the spectrum of design, adoption, privacy, security, accessibility implications of voice technologies and AI
- Actively participate developing the future trends of voice and AI as part of your overall business and marketing strategies
2:40pm - 3:10pm
Think Like A Fan: Create Relatable Content, Insight Meaningful Interactions and Activate Your Community of Fans
- Brian Fanzo, iSocialFanz
- Understand how the latest news feed changes impacts organic reach and Facebook Ad spend
- Build a content strategy from the fans perspective focusing on creating “participatory content” targeted at an active audience rather than social spectators
- Implement employee advocacy and influencer relation programs that create social media conversations and drive organic reach of content on social media
The Age of Invisibility
- Mike King, iPullRank
- Understand trends in the features of organic search results
- Apply six tactics to be effective in SEO
- Optimize on-page content for search engine algorithms
- Survive this age of invisibility
Experiential Marketing: How the Best Brands Amplify Their Live Experiences Through Digital
- Brendan Walsh, Mole Street
- General background on Experiential marketing techniques and how they intersect with a social/digital campaign
- Profiles of some of the best known brands and how they use it effectively
- Video examples for reference within the retail, hospitality, fmcg, tourism and entertainment space
- New tools that are available to capture social information at events without hashtags
3:25pm - 3:55pm
The Future Of B2B Marketing: Trends For The Contrarian Marketer
- Jann Martin Schwarz, LinkedIn
- Understand why you should always stick with your old creative
- Not be fooled by cheap media buys that are actually expensive
- Explain why “Brand Newsrooms” are a horrible approach to content
- Define why real-time marketing is one of the worst ideas in marketing
Harnessing the Power of Amazon: Customer Acquisition, Lead Generation, and Proof of Concept Sales
- Robyn Johnson, Best From The Nest
- Use Amazon as a way to drive growth for brands and products
- Understand key elements for Amazon SEO and conversion
- Get initial conversions and protect your brand on Amazon
4:10pm - 4:40pm
The Next Era of Mobile Messaging
- Rob Lawson, Google
- Understand how Rich Business Messaging will change SMS
- Increase customer engagement and personalization with RBM
- Reach mobile customers more effectively
- Prepare your brand for the future of messaging
500 Different Website Visitors, 500 Different Web Experiences
- Joshua Camden, JCAMDN
- Understand what website personalization is at scale
- Segment the audiences and create dynamic experiences for every user
- Implement tools you can use to create web personalization and increase engagement
4:40pm - 5:40pm
Is your brain full now? Thank you so much for joining us for two days of wall to wall marketing goodnes.. Before you say those final goodbyes and make those final connections, join us for a beverage or two at the Closing Reception, immediately after sessions.